Apple’s iOS 12 brings to you AR and Grouped notifications along with other features
Apple held its annual Worldwide Developers Conference with a keynote presentation by CEO Tim Cook. This presentation elicited some positive and negative responses but mostly the former. For starters, a top to bottom approach to increase response rate of the iphones and ipads was made as apple decided to double down the performance. This means apps launch faster, camera opens quickly and loading time is less. This came after the tech giants faced serious backlash from users who complained that older devices and versions had started slowing down. Now usually big smart phone companies use this technique in order to force customers into buying a new device.
However with this new update, devices dating back to 2013, including the iphone 5s will be able to install iOS 12
Now for the features part
1) The update has bumped up our favourite girl Siri’s IQ. There’s a whole new Shortcuts feature which is built on the Workflow app. Moreover it can answer questions related to famous people, animals, sports and food. Users can also use the Shortcuts feature to build new automations and activate them using the voice control feature.
2) Apple also built a wide range of time management tools. This also includes a Screen Time feature which basically tells the user how they used their iOS device and how many times they pick up their phone, which app sends the most notifications and how much time they spend on each app. App Limits which is included in the Screen Time feature also helps you to set a limit on the apps and remind you to use them less.
3) Grouped Notifications has been added to make dealing with notifications easier and manage all of them from an app at once. Apple also added a tweaking feature where you can choose how you want a notification to appear. Moreover it won’t send you notifications from apps you don’t use anymore.
4) Apple also introduced customizable Animoji called Memoji where you can make the emoji look like you using the Camera Effects app. Furthermore, FaceTime now allows you to add as much as upto 32 participants in the chat.
5) A lot of apps also have changed UI like CarPlay allows use third-party navigation apps like Google Maps, iBooks has been changed to Apple Books, a 3D touch on the Camera app will allow you to use the QR Code Scanner and they have also completely redesigned to Stocks app and introduced it on the iPad.
6) One of the most interesting update is the introduction of The AR or Augmented Reality. The Measure app is one of those which use this feature where it allows users to measure 3D objects in the real world. There’s also something called Shared Experiences which allows two people to see the same AR environment.
The iOS update is limited to the use of developers at the moment however a public beta version will be released by Apple in the summer.
By Abhishek Aggarwal